What is it?
Coriolus is a type of mushroom. Substances obtained from coriolus mushroom are used as medicines. Two of these substances are polysaccharide peptide (PSP) and polysaccharide krestin (PSK).
Coriolus mushroom, PSP, or PSK are taken by mouth to improve response to cancer medicines and radiation. But there is limited scientific evidence to support this or other uses.
Possibly Effective for …
- Cancer. Taking polysaccharide krestin (PSK), a substance found in coriolus mushroom, by mouth may improve the response to chemotherapy by a small amount in some people with certain types of cancer.
Insufficient Evidence to Make a Determination for …
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
- Genital herpes.
- Infections of the kidney, bladder, or urethra (urinary tract infections or UTIs).
- Muscle strength.
- Ringworm (tinea corporis).
- Swelling (inflammation) of the liver (hepatitis).
- Upper airway infection.
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of coriolus mushroom for these uses.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There isn’t enough reliable information to know if coriolus mushroom is safe to use when pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- For cancer: 3 grams of polysaccharide krestin (PSK), an extract of coriolus mushroom, taken by mouth every day, in combination with chemotherapy is the most commonly used dose.
Natural Medicines disclaims any responsibility related to medical consequences of using any medical product. Effort is made to ensure that the information contained in this monograph is accurate at the time it was published. Consumers and medical professionals who consult this monograph are cautioned that any medical or product related decision is the sole responsibility of the consumer and/or the health care professional. A legal License Agreement sets limitations on downloading, storing, or printing content from this Database. Except for any possible exceptions written into your License Agreement, no reproduction of this monograph or any content from this Database is permitted without written permission from the publisher. Unlawful to download, store, or distribute content from this site.
For the latest comprehensive data on this and every other natural medicine, health professionals should consult the Professional Version of the Natural Medicines. It is fully referenced and updated daily.
© Copyright 1995-2021. Therapeutic Research Faculty, publishers of Natural Medicines, Prescriber’s Letter, and Pharmacist’s Letter. All rights reserved.