Above all, we make a difference.
Last updated: June 6, 2022
For your convenience, you may review specific information about our data practices by clicking on any of the questions and statements below:
What types of personal information do we collect from you?
How do we collect personal information about you?
How we may use your personal information?
With whom may we share your personal information?
What are your privacy options and access?
What are our data security protections?
Notices and Disclosures.
What types of personal information do we collect from you?
Komen collects information in support of our mission to end breast cancer. The information you provide allows us to personalize your interactions with Komen so that we can better respond to your requests, understand your needs, and provide you the information and resources you need. In general, the type and amount of information we collect on you will depend on how you choose to interact with Komen. For instance, if you are a patient or caregiver contacting us for assistance, we will need different information to assist you than if you are using our website to donate to Komen.
Personal Information. While you are engaging with Komen and utilizing Komen’s Services, Komen may collect information that identifies you as an individual or which is linked or linkable to you as an individual (“Personal Information”). Examples of Personal Information include your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, payment card details, personal preferences, occupation, limited health information such as your relationship to breast cancer, and other account-related information.
The categories of information are outlined below:
- Contact Information and Preferences. We may request contact information such as your name, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address, and your preferences for how you would like to be contacted by Komen. We may also use third-party services to supplement or to ensure accuracy of contact information.
- Demographic Information. We may request limited demographic information such as your gender, race or ethnicity, marital status, geographic location, and/or primary language. We may also use publicly available data or third-party services to supplement this information.
- Sensitive Personal Information (Other than Health Information). Unless we specifically request or invite it, we ask that you not send or otherwise disclose to us your political opinions, religion or other beliefs, passport or national identity number, criminal background, or trade union membership. In those cases where we may request or invite you to provide the foregoing information, we will only do so with your express consent or where there is a clear reason for doing so—such as where Komen is arranging your travel and accommodations for your participation in a sponsored event—and then only to the extent such data is required to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate in the event.
- Health Information. We may request limited health information about you such as your relationship to breast cancer or other cancers, if applicable, your type of breast cancer or other cancers, date of diagnosis, stage, or current treatment. For instance, this information may be needed to assist you if you contact Komen seeking breast cancer information or requesting support from Komen. If you register to participate in a Komen event, we may ask you about your relationship to breast cancer or other cancers so that we can let you know about special activities for caregivers, survivors or those living with metastatic disease. This health information may be transmitted electronically for the uses and/or disclosures described in this Privacy Statement. We may request more detailed information if you enroll in a research study.
- Financial Information. If you donate to Komen or make a retail purchase on a Komen Site, we will collect payment information such as your credit card number to process your transaction. We may also collect the name of your employing company, if you would like for that company to make a matching donation. We may use a third-party payment service to process payments made through the Services. We will retain your credit card information only for as long as necessary to process the transaction.
- Call Recordings and Chat Transcripts. If you contact Komen for information or assistance by calling our Breast Care Helpline or online via the “Contact Us” chat feature, we may record your call or maintain a transcript of the chat for training and quality assurance purposes. The information contained in these transcripts will depend on what you voluntarily provide to Komen.
- Aggregate Information. When you access a Service, Komen might also automatically collect information about your visit that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual (“Aggregate Information”), such as information about how many users log on to the Services on a daily basis. The gathering of this Aggregate Information may be accomplished using cookies or pixel tags (see below) by Komen and its third-party service providers, which track user activity of Komen’s Services. Aggregate Information is used in a collective manner, and no single person can be identified by that compiled information. It may include the following:
- Komen Services most frequently accessed;
- Date and time when Komen webpages were visited;
- Amount of time spent on a Komen webpage;
- Number of visits to Komen Services;
- Types of browser used;
- Cookie preferences;
- Search terms used;
- Internet Protocol (IP) addresses;
- Type of computers used; or
- Web services used.
Komen also may use a unique assigned number located with its URL to determine the website from which you navigated to get to the websites. While this number may not be apparent to you, it does not contain your Personal Information.
How do we collect personal information about you?
Komen may collect Personal Information in a variety of instances when you engage or communicate with us. For example, we may collect information about you in the following circumstances:
Login. We may request Personal Information whenever you log in to your account. We reserve the right to request any additional information necessary to establish and maintain your account.
Requests for Information and Resources. When you contact Komen for information and resources, we will collect the Personal Information you provide in order to assist you.
Patient Support Services. For example, if you contact Komen to utilize these support services, we may ask you for contact and demographic information as well as limited or detailed health information.
Site and App Use. We may collect Personal Information through your use of Komen sites and Apps, including online public forums, discussion boards, or chat rooms. If you become a registered user of Komen, we will collect login and profile information and may also collect information about your areas of interest. Please note that any information you post within public forums will become public and may be read, collected, and used by anyone. Please exercise caution when deciding whether to disclose your Personal Information in public forums.
Donations. If you make a donation to Komen, we will collect Personal Information from you that may include: your name, address, telephone number, and/or email address so that we can send you a receipt and/or thank you for your donation. We may also collect limited financial information to process your donations.
Employment or Volunteer Participation. If you seek employment with Komen or volunteer for Komen, we will collect information related to your role. For instance, we will collect employment history information if you submit a resume to Komen. If you are volunteering, we may ask about your experience in similar roles, your relationship to breast cancer or other cancers, and/or for any background information needed for the specific volunteer role, such as background checks.
Research Participation. If you inquire about (or enroll in) a research study, we may collect information, including health information, from you related to the study. Research participant data is maintained in a secure, restricted environment and is accessed only for research purposes.
Event Registration. If you register to participate in a Komen event, we may also ask about your relationship to breast cancer or other cancers, but you are not required to provide this information to participate. This information, however, is useful for event purposes and helps us let you know about special activities for caregivers, survivors, and those living with metastatic disease.
Individual as Service Provider. If you partner with Komen to provide Services, we may collect information such as name, employer, title, contact information. We collect this information for the purposes of contacting you about the partnership. If it is necessary for purposes of paying you for Services provided, we may also collect bank account information, address, etc.
Third-Party Fundraising Campaigns. Promotions or Events. We may use or interact with third parties to conduct fundraising campaigns, promotions or events, including online platforms. In these instances, we may receive access to donor reports which includes donor name, contact information and donation amount. We also may receive your Personal Information if you respond to a cause-related marketing campaign or other promotion benefitting Komen that is conducted by a corporate partner.
Social Media Interfaces. If you elect to connect your social media account to your Komen account, certain Personal Information from your social media account will be shared with us, which may include Personal Information that is part of your profile or your friends’ profiles. Your interactions with social media companies and the use of their features are governed by their privacy policies.
Other Sources. We may receive your Personal Information from other sources that you engage with; third-party organizations we collaborate with to provide support services and information to patients and their caregivers; or supplemental data sources to supplement or link the information we collect from you.
How may we use your personal information?
Generally, our uses of Personal Information include, without limitation, enabling you to make a donation, processing donations and purchase transactions, verifying your identity, managing your preferences, responding to your inquiry about volunteering time to Komen, processing grant applications, or providing information, such as sending marketing communications and newsletters. We may use Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Mission Delivery and Support Operations. We will use your Personal Information to respond to your inquiries and to provide you with the information, resources and support services you request. We may use your Personal Information to help us better understand the individuals we serve, to better communicate with you, and to better serve you and your community with relevant programs, services and information. We may also use your Personal Information to develop, evaluate and improve our programs and services. For instance, we may contact you with a survey seeking voluntary feedback on services you have received.
- We may use your Personal Information to keep you informed about breast cancer-related news developments, to notify you of Komen services that may be of interest to you, to invite you to upcoming Komen events in your area, to request voluntary time or monetary contributions to Komen, or to request your participation in a Komen research study. For example, if you contact our Breast Cancer or Clinical Trial helplines, your information may be used to connect you to services, education, treatment assistance, and/or clinical trial resources.
- Data Analytics. We also perform data analysis and research activities to gain a greater understanding of breast cancer, breast cancer treatment and the related needs of patients and their caregivers and our constituents. This analysis can help us improve patient experiences, mission delivery, and support. We may also perform data analytics to improve our products and services that can better support our mission.
- Targeted Fundraising. We may use certain information (name, address, telephone number or email information, date of birth, gender, dates of service, department of service information, etc.) to verify identity and/or contact you for the purpose of raising money for Komen, but you have the right to opt-out of receiving such future communications with each communication. You are free to opt-out of any or all fundraising communications and your decision will have no impact on your ability to receive or access Komen services.
- Other Business Purposes. We may use Personal Information for other business purposes, such as conducting audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, recordkeeping, developing new services, enhancing, improving or modifying our programs and our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of fundraising campaigns and mission activities, and updating and expanding our business activities.
- App Usage Data. When you download and use Komen Apps, we may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
- With Your Consent. In addition to the other uses described in this section, we may also use your information as you expressly authorize us to do so.
We may also use Aggregate Information or other data that we collect on an aggregate or anonymous basis (meaning it does not identify any individuals) for various internal purposes, where permissible under applicable laws and regulations, to help deliver products, services, and content that are better tailored to the users of our services and for other purposes.
- Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses from All Visitors to its Websites. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet. We use IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our websites, analyze trends, track users’ movement on our webpages, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use for us to improve our webpages, and deliver customized, personalized content. IP addresses are not linked to Personal Information.
- Browser and Device Information. Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Web Server Traffic Pattern Information and Browsing History. We collect standard web server traffic pattern information and your browsing history. General traffic, Site usage, browser information and length of stay information is collected.
- Cookies. We use “cookies,” small files that are sent to your web browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive, to enhance your online experience. The cookies collect information about your use of our Services, such as the type of browser you use (such as Google Chrome or Internet Explorer), your home domain or Internet service provider, your referrer URL (which is the URL for the website that you were viewing prior to visiting the website), how you were directed to the Services, which specific pages you accessed, how long you view each page, the time and date you access our Services and anonymous traffic data. If you do not want information collected by cookies, most browsers allow you to automatically decline cookies or be given the choice of declining or accepting a cookie (or cookies) from a website. If, however, you do not accept cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Services.
- Pixel Tags and Other Similar Technologies. Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used to, among other things, track the online actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- Physical Location. We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or Wi-Fi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you do, we may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
- De-Identified Information and Aggregate Information for Data Analysis and Research. “De-identified information” means information where identifiers have been removed so that it does not directly or indirectly identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual. “Aggregate Information” means information about groups or categories of individuals which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual. For example, we may use aggregate information to compare the types of services our constituents utilize in one geographic location with another to understand how the two groups are different or similar. We may use De-identified information and aggregate information for activities including data analysis and research to gain a greater general understanding of breast cancer, breast cancer treatment and the related needs of our constituents and our patients and their caregivers.
With whom may we share your personal information?
In furtherance of our mission, your Personal Information may be shared with:
- With Your Consent. Komen may share information about you with others if you give us permission or direct us to share the information.
- Third Party Service Providers. We may need to share Personal Information with third-parties that provide operational services on our behalf (such as website hosting, information technology and infrastructure, data analytics, email delivery, credit card processing, order fulfillment, auditing or other services) or that assist Komen in providing you with support and resources.
- Komen Partners. We may provide your information to organizations we work with to provide services, products or programs. We may also share information with content providers, sponsors, service providers or other third parties to advance the goals of education, dissemination or information and otherwise in fulfillment of our mission.
- Referring Health Care Providers and Health Care Plans. If you were referred to Komen or Komen’s Helpline by your health care provider, we may also report back to your referring provider regarding your usage of Komen programs and services or to coordinate treatment-related services.
- Mission Collaborators. We may collaborate with organizations to provide or improve Komen’s services and operations. For example, we may share Personal Information, as applicable, with organizations that are working with Komen to provide free or discounted transportation or lodging services to our constituents or with organizations to conduct data analytics projects that allow us to better understand the use of our services.
- Volunteers. We may share limited personal information, such as contact information, with volunteers who are assisting Komen and who require the information as part of their duties.
- Third Party Charitable Promotions. We may also share your Personal Information, excluding health information, with third-party companies that are conducting charitable sales promotions to benefit Komen. You are under no obligation to respond to those promotions.
- Social Media. If you engage with Komen on a public, social media platform, you may be sharing your Personal Information with your friends associated with your social media account, to other website users and to your social media account provider, in connection with your social sharing activity. By connecting your Komen account with your social media account, you authorize us to share information with your social media account provider. For example, if you log-in to our website using your social media account, use a “like” button or use other social media features while visiting our website, those social media companies may collect information about you. You understand that your interactions with social media companies, the use of their features, and the use of the information we share will be governed by their privacy policies. Please note that any information you post within these public forums or social media pages may become public and may be read, collected, and used by anyone. Please exercise caution when deciding whether to disclose your Personal Information in these forums.
- Nonprofit List Share. From time to time, Komen may also share donor names and mailing addresses with other nonprofit organizations on a limited basis. We do not share email addresses or health-related data in connection with this list exchange. You, as a donor may, at any time, request that Komen exclude your name from being shared with other nonprofit organizations. To ask that your name be excluded or to otherwise change how Komen contacts you, please email us at email@example.com, use the contact options on our Contact Us page, or mail your request to: Susan G. Komen, 13770 Noel Road, Suite 801889, Dallas, TX 75380, Attn: Legal.
- Memorial and Honor Giving. You may choose to honor someone whose life has been impacted by cancer by making a donation in their name. Once your gift is received and you have requested a notification be sent to the honoree or family, Komen will send a card to the honoree or family acknowledging your gift. The amount of money donated through memorial or honor donations is kept confidential, but the individual (or their immediate family in the case of a memorial donation) may be provided with the name and address of those individuals who have donated in honor of their loved one, whether in the card itself or at the request of the honoree or family.
- Partners for Komen-Related Activities. Komen has some unique opportunities for its partners to share products or services with you that may benefit Komen and its mission. Komen may make your Personal Information available to these third parties to further these purposes.
What are your privacy options and access?
Contact Preferences and Restrictions. We respect your privacy and recognize that you may wish to limit the ways in which we contact you and/or share your Personal Information, including for fundraising purposes. On many of our email communications, you may manage what type of communications you want to receive from Komen, or you may opt-out from receiving certain email communications. However, we will continue to send transaction-related emails regarding our relationship and the services you have requested.
In addition, Komen offers the following options:
- Do not contact me by postal mail.
- Do not contact me by telephone.
- Do not contact me by SMS (text) message.
- Do not contact me by email.
- Do not share my contact information with other nonprofit organizations.
- Do not contact me (ends all communications except transaction-related notifications).
To inform us of any desired restrictions, please make changes through the instructions on the Komen email communication, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, use the contact options on our Contact Us page, or mail your request to: Susan G. Komen, 13770 Noel Road, Suite 801889, Dallas, TX 75380, Attn: Legal.
Registrations and Subscriptions. If you register for a Komen event or sign up for a newsletter or similar subscription, you will receive communications related to that service, regardless of your prior preferences or restrictions. If you no longer wish to receive event emails or other email subscriptions, please make changes through the “Manage Your Email Preferences” button on our email communication, email us at email@example.com, use the contact options on our Contact Us page, or mail your request to: Susan G. Komen, 13770 Noel Road, Suite 801889, Dallas, TX 75380, Attn: Legal.
Mobile Applications (Apps). You can stop collection of information by Apps by uninstalling the Apps. You may use the standard uninstall processes available as part of your mobile device or network. To discontinue the collection of geolocation data within Apps, you can modify your privacy settings on your mobile device.
To Request a Copy of Your Personal Information and to Object to the Processing of Your Personal Information. Subject to applicable law, you may have the right to obtain confirmation regarding whether Komen processes Personal Information about you and/or to request access to and receive information about the Personal Information that we maintain. This may include listing certain categories of personal data that we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes and the identity of those third parties. To make such a request, please contact us using one of the methods provided in “How to Contact Us.” In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to review. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable, consistent with applicable law.
Subject to applicable law, you may also have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Information, and have the information blocked, anonymized, or deleted, as appropriate. This may include the ability to opt-out of the sale of personal data. Please note that in cases of deletion, we may keep limited personal information to document your request. The right to access Personal Information may be limited in some circumstances by local law. To exercise these rights, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, use the contact options on our Contact Us page, or mail your request to: Susan G. Komen, 13770 Noel Road, Suite 801889, Dallas, TX 75380, Attn: Legal.
Although Komen makes good faith efforts to provide individuals with access to their Personal Information, there may be circumstances in which Komen is unable to provide access, including but not limited to: where the information would compromise others’ privacy or other legitimate rights, where the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to the individual’s privacy in the case in question, or where the information is subject to legal privilege. If Komen determines that access should be restricted in any instance, we will endeavor to provide you with an explanation of why that determination has been made and a contact point for any further inquiries. To protect your privacy, Komen will take commercially reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to or making any changes to your Personal Information.
Personal Information Changes. If you have a Komen account, you may login to update or change your Personal Information. You can also send your request through one of the contact options on our Contact Us page. After submitting a request, Komen will utilize identity verification methods in order to change or delete account information and/or data.
What are our data security protections?
Komen is committed to using reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures designed to secure the information to protect Personal Information within our organization. For example, we incorporate industry-standard security controls (like firewalls) and protocols (like SSL/TLS) to create sites that are resistant to standard internet-based threats.
Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet, nor any data storage system, is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information on our or third-party sites. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us using the contact options on our Contact Us page.
Komen retains Personal Information that we receive for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which the information was collected, to provide our services and products, to pursue legitimate business purposes, to enforce our agreements, and comply with all applicable laws.
Notices and Disclosures
Children’s Privacy. With the signed consent of the parent or guardian, children are able to participate in some Komen walks or races. Personal Information may be collected from such participating children. Other Services are not intended for minors (individuals under the age of 16, or equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from minors. If you become aware of any Personal Information we have collected from a minor, please contact us using the contact options on our Contact Us page, or mail your request to: Susan G. Komen, 13770 Noel Road, Suite 801889, Dallas, TX 75380, Attn: Legal. If we discover that we have inadvertently collected Personal Information from a person under the age of 16 or if we are provided with a verifiable parental request, we will delete the child’s information.
Links to Third-Party Websites. Our Services may contain links to third-party websites, whose privacy practices may be different from Komen’s. This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third-party operating any website or service to which the Services link. Links to other sites do not imply Komen’s endorsement of the products or services or privacy or security practices of those websites. In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our sites or our social media pages.
Data Subject U.S. Laws. Komen services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
Information on Third Parties. If you disclose any Personal Information relating to other people to us, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Statement