In recognition of Mother’s Day on Sunday May 14, Susan G. Komen®, the world’s leading breast cancer organization, and Major League Baseball (MLB) are teaming up to put moms first and raise awareness to help reduce rates of breast cancer.
In 2023, over 43,000 people in the U.S. are expected to die from breast cancer – most women who get breast cancer do not have a family history of the disease and risk factors vary by race and ethnicity. The partnership between Komen and MLB is a collaboration to support Komen’s “A Moment with Mom” campaign through several on and off-field activations that will educate individuals on the importance of routine screenings, the urgency of follow-up care and raise money for research to find the cure for breast cancer.
The “A Moment with Mom” campaign will debut a special Mother’s Day tribute video, which will be released on Sunday on Komen’s social media channels The video will appear in stadiums and will feature MLB players with their moms such as Mike Trout, Shohei Ohtani, Tim Anderson, Miguel Cabrera, Salvador Perez, Marcus Semien, Julio Rodriguez, Wander Franco, Alek Manoah, Chad Kuhl and many others.
“Partnering with Major League Baseball is an absolute honor for us at Komen as we know there is a special spark and dedication within their teams and fans alike. When we join forces with MLB, we’re able to celebrate moms all over the country, all while reaching millions of people with breast cancer resources that can truly save a life,” said Paula Schneider, President and CEO of Susan G. Komen.
“Mother’s Day is a special day to recognize and remember all the moms in our lives, and this year we are proud to partner with Susan G. Komen to honor all those moms who have provided unwavering love and support, gentle compassion, and guidance, many of whom have been impacted by breast cancer,” said April Brown, Senior Vice President of Social Responsibility, Major League Baseball.
The Susan G. Komen and Major League Baseball partnership includes:
- One-of-a-kind, specially designed caps by New Era featuring pink Club logos (worn by all players, managers, coaches, and other on-field personnel)
- A matching pair of Stance socks is available for every player
- On-field personnel may wear pink wristbands and will wear the special breast cancer awareness, pink MLB silhouetted batter decals on Nike jerseys
- Major League players may continue to use special pink bats provided by Louisville Slugger or another approved bat supplier
- Commemorative base jewels
- Note: Major League Baseball directs 100% of its royalties from on-field Mother’s Day socks and caps to MLB Charities, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. MLB Charities will then donate those funds to Susan G. Komen to support the organization’s mission in the fight against breast cancer.
- Many Clubs across the League have partnered with Komen to honor moms in ballparks as part of Komen’s “A Moment with Mom” program.
- Special Komen Mother’s Day Video will be shared in Major League Baseball stadiums across the country as well as Komen’s social media channels.