Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Susan G. Komen® has a series of 18 Questions to Ask Your Doctor resources that may be helpful if you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer or if you have concerns about breast cancer screening or your risk of breast cancer. Each resource includes questions to discuss with your doctor regarding a specific breast cancer topic.
You can download, print and write on them at your next doctor’s appointment. Or, you can download, type and save it on your computer, tablet or phone during a telehealth visit using an app such as Adobe. Plenty of space and a notes section are provided to jot down the answers to the questions.
These resources are a great conversation starter and a valuable tool for people who may be too overwhelmed to even know what to ask their doctor.
They are also available in Spanish.
Topic Cards Available for Download
- Biosimilars– questions regarding biosimilars.
- Breast Biopsy – questions regarding different types of biopsies, the biopsy procedure and aftereffects.
- Breast Cancer Surgery– questions to help you prepare for breast cancer surgery both before and after.
- Breast Density – questions regarding breast density.
- Breast Reconstruction – questions about reconstructive surgery, insurance issues and possible side effects.
- Chemotherapy and Side Effects – questions regarding chemotherapy treatment and possible side effects.
- Clinical Trials – questions regarding participating in a clinical trial.
- HER2-Targeted Therapies for Breast Cancer– questions provided to help talk to your doctor about HER2-targeted therapies.
- Hormone Therapy and Side Effects – questions regarding hormone therapy.
- If You Find a Lump or Change in Your Breast – questions regarding how to talk with your doctor if you find a lump or change in your breast.
- Inherited Genes and Breast Cancer Risk – questions regarding genetic counseling/testing, benefits and risks of genetic testing, insurance coverage, confidentiality issues and options for women at a greater risk for breast cancer.
- Lymphedema – questions regarding the risk of developing lymphedema, precautions to avoid lymphedema and treatment of lymphedema.
- Metastatic Breast Cancer – questions about metastatic breast cancer, treatment and quality of life issues.
- Metastatic Breast Cancer: Bone Protection– questions to help you and your doctor talk about bone complications and how to prevent them.
- Radiation Therapy and Side Effects – questions regarding radiation treatment.
- Screening Mammogram– information about preparing for a mammogram, insurance coverage, mammography results and next steps if an abnormality is detected.
- Tumor Profiling– questions provided to help talk to your doctor about tumor profiling and how results of these tests can be used to plan treatment.
- When Breast Cancer is Diagnosed – questions regarding diagnostic testing, types of breast cancer and prognostic factors.
Updated July 27, 2021